Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Buying Cars in California



As soon as we found out we were moving back to the States, the first question Jonathan asked was what kind of car I wanted. I’m not picky, and just insisted I have something with a back end big enough for the dogs and a place to plug my iPod in. But Jonathan is a total ‘car guy’ and the issue of vehicles required extensive research and hours on different forums. He would relay the gathered information to me while I dumbly smiled and nodded, without a clue as to what he was talking about in regards to engines and horsepower. 

He went back and forth between the Land Rover Discovery and the Toyota 4-Runner while I narrowed it down to the Toyota Highlander, GMC Acadia, or Jeep Grand Cherokee. So what did we decide???? 

Turns out I have really great taste because both of the vehicles we got came from my list! Jonathan decided to get the Jeep Grand Cherokee for himself while I am rolling in style in my new Acadia. 


I couldn’t be happier! In addition to streaming my iPod tunes it has a great navigation system and two sunroofs. It also had a bunch of engine and horsepower and towing capacity details that I don’t really give a flip about. I haven’t gotten to drive it much, but so far it has performed the task of hauling my loot from Babies R Us and the grocery store beautifully, and was the perfect car for dropping off the dry-cleaning. You know, Mom car type of stuff. 
Jonathan’s Jeep has gotten a little bit more adventure under it’s belt as we immediately took it for a test drive up Mt. Diablo, the mountain that looms over San Ramon. 
You know, Dad car type of stuff. 

We had to turn around halfway up because little man decided he needed a nap IMMEDIATELY and refused to sleep in the car, so we had to rush home before he had a complete nervous breakdown. Babies…you can’t take them anywhere! Still, we got some great views from the mountain and made sure to capture some photos of Jon with his new love interest. 


I think it’s interesting that upon re-patriating, we both ended up with American cars. This was totally subconscious, but I do think our stint overseas left us more patriotic, so it’s completely appropriate that we’re representing the States with our vehicles. 

'Mericah!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this. I am moving to California in a month and I was thinking about just shipping all of my things, flying out and buying a car when I get out there. I do not feel like making a drive across the country. I am on the east coast so it would be a few days.

    Paige Hollingsworth @ Baldwin Motors Lincoln

    ReplyDelete