Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A Call for Prayer

Last Saturday, my adored MawMaw Fern took a bad fall, hitting her head on the way down. She was rushed to the hospital where a scan revealed bleeding on her brain. This bleeding quickly escalated leaving her in a coma, likely for the rest of her life. Since she doesn't wish for any life-prolonging measures, this is estimated to be 2-3 days at this point.

It's been quite an emotional few days for my family, who have mostly gathered at my parent's house in Covington, LA, where with the help of hospice, my grandmother will rest peacefully for her remaining time on earth. She is set up in my parents sunroom which doubles as a library. It's fitting because if there are two things my grandmother loves it is sunshine and reading. 


She passed her love of reading on to all of us.
At this point I am remaining in California, but it is breaking my heart to not be there with her in these final days. I've considered flying there Thursday and leaving Forest behind with Jonathan. I've put that baby through so much in the past 3 weeks, I just don't have the heart to put him through jet lag and new rooms/beds again so soon. At the same time, I just want her to meet him. Even though I know she can't be present, they tell us the sense of hearing is the last to go. I just want her to hear him coo and babble and blow razzberries and laugh. 

I just want their lives to intersect at least once. She's been such an inspiration to me, I feel like Forest can never fully know me without knowing her. Hopefully I can keep her alive through stories and through instilling in him a passion for reading, writing, and history. Y'all, I am just a mess. 


It would be a miracle for her to survive and a miracle beyond miracles for her to survive without crippling disabilities, which I know would leave her without much quality of life. So my prayer is not for her survival but for her peace. For her comfort. For her family who grieves deeply for this loss. For her legacy of kindness, strength, wisdom, and survival to live on and continue to inspire others. If you wouldn't mind, could you please pray the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment