Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thankful

 Happy Thanksgiving everyone. It's truly one of my favorite holidays and I seem to get way too sentimental everytime it comes. What could be more important than a day centered on gratitude? It's certainly something that we could all use a bit more practice in!

I'm at a point in my life where 'grateful' just seems to be a wholly inadequate word. The past year was one full of heartache and fear and growing pains as I learned the lesson that even though God loves us, it doesn't mean we will be protected from grief or illness or tests of faith. I learned that it's not always about being strong- it's more important to be faithful; to let God be strong in our stead. To let Him fight for us and keep our hearts pure and our faith intact even when our bodies fail and our hearts break. Sometimes we have to praise Him through the storm and that is, quite frankly, a scary admission. 

So it's been a refining year for me, and one that has widened my perspective and clued me in to a little insight: My life is blessed beyond measurement. It won't always be this good, and I know there will be hard times ahead, and I hope that when those times come I have the faith to still be grateful and to give thanks in all circumstances. But as for now, I seriously could not ask for better circumstances. I feel lucky and undeserving of all the blessings in my life. I am especially thankful for: 

1) My health and the health of my husband and child.
2) The beauty that surrounds me in Northern California, both the landscape and the weather. 
3)  An upcoming holiday with family and friends in Louisiana.
4) A Savior who brings peace, joy, grace, healing, and mercy. 
5)  The ability to comfortably stay home with Forest, which is truly a dream job. 
6) A husband who is sweet and humble and who works hard and is great at what he does, both at work and at home. And it doesn't hurt that he is also a hunk....

7) A son who is full of joy and spunk and sweetness. 
8) A family who loves us and supports us despite the miles between us. 
9) A global network of friends who feel like family no matter the distance. 

And gosh, just so so so much more. It's honestly ridiculous and I often pinch myself to make sure this is really my life. I may not have realized it until recently but God has given me every single thing I ever asked for, down to the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel snoozing on my couch right now. 
It's a scary thing when you realize you have all you ever wanted. Jonathan and I joke that we're peaking too soon. There is so much at stake. We have everything to lose.  

I was driving to a gorgeous park the other day to meet up for a playdate with a dear friend. The weather was perfect, the light had that mystical Fall look, and the autumn trees with their mountainous backdrop were just so beautiful I started to cry. Because I just never wanted it to change. I wanted to stay frozen in this season of life. But that's not how life works. I know it will change. That's the nature of the game. But I'd just like to say for the record, I am just so thankful for this moment in time. 
Photo by Jennifer Wilhite Photography. Full family photo reveal coming soon!
 

1 comment: