Friday, November 6, 2015

Forest Firsts: Trick or Treating



Those of you who know me know that I loathe Halloween. When I ran past my due date of October 23 two years ago, I was mortified that I might have a Halloween baby. When I was induced on October 30, God answered my prayer for a quick labor and we managed to escape a Halloween baby by about 13 hours. 

But it turns out, that having a baby the day before Halloween still feels like having a Halloween baby. I honestly think Forest thought all the hoopla for Halloween was just for him. This was his first year trick or treating, and you know what? It was so much fun! It totally redeemed the holiday in my eyes and now I am all about it. 

We had big plans for Forest to go dressed as the man in the yellow hat from Curious George since he is constantly toting around his monkey. But I couldn’t find a kids costume for that and I am so not the momma who can put together a homemade costume. So the idea just morphed into a generic monkey costume that I found at Target. It was totally lame but still cute. 
Unfortunately it was still summer like temperatures once Halloween rolled around, and it was quite toasty inside the monkey suit. Forest was not amused and as soon as we zipped him up he started crying: “Get out! Take off! All done!” I felt so bad for him but didn’t have a back up costume for him so we decided to distract him with glow sticks, pumpkins, and balloons until he forgot about his uncomfortable get-up. 

Once we got outside and his buddy Bryce started tugging his monkey tail he was all smiles. 

We decided not to take strollers and just let the big boys walk from house to house. They are growing up so much! 


They caught on really quickly and were pros at knocking on the door, taking one piece of candy, saying thank you and heading to the next ‘spooky house’.  
 Forest was too cute, and not at all spooked by the creepy decorations on some of the houses. One house had a giant spider that jumped out at us and everyone screamed, except for Forest-who laughed. The child is truly fearless. But we also prepped him by reading several silly Halloween books all month so I think that helped him to see spiders and such as funny, not scary. 

It was also funny because Forest doesn’t have a lot of experience with candy, with the exception of M&Ms because Jon and I always have them in the house and he occasionally gets a few as a special treat. We are also a big Oreo family so he recognizes those packages as well. So of course when Forest got to choose his one candy he would shop around the bowl for M&Ms, but when someone handed out a two-pack of Oreos, he quickly snatched it out of the pumpkin, handed me his pumpkin and started walking home. He had gotten what he came for and was ready to call it a night. Ha! 

We convinced him to put his Oreos back in his pumpkin and finish up the block, but you could see him constantly glancing in his pumpkin to be sure the Oreos were still safely inside. Boy is crazy for Oreos, and who can blame him? 
Blurry pic but when we got home and he was told he could have one treat from his pumpkin, what do you think he grabbed?!?!? Oreos of course!

All in all it was a super fun night and I loved watching these handsome *2 year olds* trick or treat together. 
I hope y’all had a silly spooky Halloween as well!

1 comment:

  1. So cute how much he got into the spirit of Halloween! He was an adorable monkey :) And who doesn't like Oreos?! Yum.

    ReplyDelete