Thursday, October 2, 2014

Weekly Pinterest Project: Fabric Scrap Banner



I’ve always loved the look of fabric scrap banners and their shabby no-sew application made me think this was a craft that I should try. I decided to give it a go as part of our Halloween décor for Forest’s upcoming birthday bash. I used this tutorial as a guide but the technique is pretty simple (even I managed to do it!):
Original Source
Here is what you’ll need: 
Jute Twine
About ¼ yard of 4 or 5 different fabrics in whichever color scheme you’d like
2 or 3 different types of ribbon/lace
Scissors (this is a pretty rag-tag kinda craft so you don’t need any fancy scissors). 

I debated between the black and orange color scheme, the candy corn color scheme or the black/green/purple/orange color scheme, but y’all know I love purple so of course the last one won out. I got my twine and a few of my fabrics on the sewing/laundry aisle at Target.  They sell fabrics in ¼ yard amounts (which is perfect) so I chose some orange, green, and black and white polka dot fabrics. Then I went to Hobby Lobby and found black fabric with green, orange, and purple polka dots which I LOVE. 

I also got some great ribbon assortments at Hobby Lobby. Unfortunately I was a bit premature in my shopping though because I just went to back Hobby Lobby and noticed they had specific Halloween ribbons in stock. Oh well, I loved the ribbons I chose, especially the bold orange and white stripes. I also got some glittery purple and lime green ribbon which added a nice touch.

To make the banner, start by cutting your fabric and ribbons into long strips (about 2 X 27). Take one piece at a time and fold it over itself. Place the twine at the top and then loop the fabric/ribbon to make a knot over the twine. 


I’m really bad at explaining this, so you should really check out this link if you have any more specific questions. 

I love the way mine turned out and I think I’ll be making one for all of the upcoming seasons and holidays. 
This one will surely look great decorating Forest’s smash cake chair! I can't believe his party is in 29 days. My baby is almost a toddler....in more ways than one...but more on that later...

2 comments:

  1. Looks great Laine! Can't wait to see the entire spread for baby boy's 1st birthday! Are you ready?! The first year goes by way too fast:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE these garlands! I sort of wanted to make one for Halloween this year, but I put it aside and now I wonder if it's too late. Maybe I can do one in more fall/Thanksgiving colors and have it work into Thanksgiving decor? Yours came out adorable.

    ReplyDelete