Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Weekly Pinterest Project: M&M Cookies

I have a bit of a sweet tooth, and at times it gets me into trouble. I’m known for tossing a random bag of oreos into the grocery cart or buying candy corn in bulk the moment Fall rolls around. I’m a big fan of m&ms in particular and buy all of the seasonal assortments as soon as they hit the shelves. When I saw this recipe on Pinterest for apparently the perfect m&m cookies I figured I’d use a naptime to try my hand at some home baking.
SOURCE for recipe and photo
Those of you who have been following my blog for awhile know that my baking escapades usually end in comedic disaster. But I have an awesome oven now and lately I’ve been really itching to hone my domestic skills. One Tuesday got off to a particularly rough start so when Forest’s afternoon nap actually happened, I decided to whip up some comfort food.
I have to say, without temperature and measurement conversions or lost in translation cultural nuances concerning sugar and flour or figuring out a persnickety European oven, baking isn’t half as intimidating in California as it was in Scotland. I didn’t have a single mishap or head scratching moment during the entire joining of ingredients. (P.S The secret ingredient that make these cookies so delightful is 3 tablespoons of instant vanilla pudding powder.)

I made two separate batches because I wanted to have one chewy batch (Jon’s preference) and one crunchy batch (my fave). Both batches came out deliciously and I was quite proud of myself for not butchering a simple cookie recipe.
They totally hit the spot. So much so that after they were gone I still had a pesky m&m cookie craving that I just couldn’t shake.  One day I decided to act. I didn’t have a pack of the secret ingredient instant vanilla pudding so I searched my ‘Sweet Tooth’ Pinterest board (true story) for an alternate recipe and landed on this scrumptious recipe for chewy m&m cookie bars.
Link for original recipe and photo
OMG, y’all. Sinfully good. So good that Jon and I ate the whole batch in 2 days. For reals. He thinks we should go on a diet but I know now that I can never go back to life before these cookie bars. (And I wonder why I just can't seem to lose those last 5 pesky pregnancy pounds...)
Just make them with a few peanut butter m&ms thrown in and tell me they aren’t worth carrying around a little extra baby weight for. Totally 100% worth it. Happy baking!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, these look absolutely amazing! Your real life version looks every bit as good as the Pinterest version . . . this is something I have yet to experience in my own kitchen. :-P

    Also, you (and Forest!) are the winner(s!) of the Enfagrow giveaway on my blog--yay for you! Would you mind emailing me with your mailing address so I can pass it along to the folks at Enfagrow? Thanks so much! (rachelfbrown@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete