Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Juliet 2 weeks old!

Juliet turned 2 weeks on Sunday. She continues to be a sweet and comparatively easy baby, but has definitely woken up a bit and has a fussy period fro about 5 pm- 10 pm most nights, mainly because she simply won't sleep and becomes a tired and overstimulated mess. Plus I think she's having a growth spurt because she nurses very aggressively and frequently in the evenings. 


She continues to be a rock star at night and I've started letting her just sleep as long as she wants, mainly because waking her up to feed is pointless since she conks out within 2 minutes of nursing in the middle of the night. Knock on wood, her longest stretch has been 7 hours (10 pm- 5 am, which I woke her from) and last night she woke on her own around 4:30 and went right back to bed until I woke her at 8. 



I hate waking her at night and from her morning nap (usually pretty decent for now) because I know how squirrelly things get in the afternoon and evening. But I'm following a loose babywise schedule which says feed them every 2.5-3 hours and don't let them nap more than about 2 hours during the day. I have a serious love/hate relationship with babywise but will pretty much do whatever it takes for a good night's sleep, and this seems to be the gentlest way to achieve that goal from the start. 

The stroller seems to be the ace in the hole as far as getting her to take a nap when she's resistant, but in Thailand, afternoons are pretty much the worst time to get out for a walk. It's either scorchingly hot or pouring down rain. 

Tummy time is pretty unsuccessful because she's mastered rolling over. As soon as I place her on her tummy she flips over. So her tummy time is mainly consisting of her laying on someone's chest. 

I bought a baby scale just to keep up with her weight progression. It's slow but she's about 6 lbs 1 oz now, up 3 oz total from her birth weight (she had dropped down to 5 lbs 5 oz at one point). 

She's on the cusp of a social smile. She loves this one Little Critter book cover, and every time she sees it she hones in and one little corner of her mouth turns up. 
Things have definitely gotten more challenging since she's started to 'wake up', and I've also been fighting off mastitis. I've had some tearful moments and feeling frustrated when she fight sleep, especially when it means I have to tend to her for an hour or so and miss out on time with Forest, Jonathan and my family. Unfortunately she's not a big fan of the baby wrap so far so my big plans for just wearing her while I play with Forest have not been working out like I thought! We're going to keep trying though! 

My parents have taken Forest to Koh Samui for a few days before he starts the big Kindergarten next week. I'm so happy for all of them to make some memories together but also emotional that I'm not along for the ride. I miss him already! 

No comments:

Post a Comment