Saturday, November 29, 2014

Excuses for Not Blogging


1. Teething Toddler.  
Drool, drool, everywhere.
I know I sound like a broken record but this teething stuff has been relentless. Molar after molar. Canine after canine. For the last 8 weeks we haven’t had much respite from cutting teeth and the myriad of symptoms that come with it. Mostly it has lead to short, inconsistent naps, early mornings, a few midnight wakings, daytime crankiness and a pair of worn down parents. Something had to give over the past few weeks and that something for me was blogging.   

   2. Sick toddler.

Boo. Forest has his first cold and it stinks. Poor bud is a fountain of snot on top of the already out-of-control drool, and if I thought his sleep was hurting before, I had a major wakeup call this week. I am wistfully remembering the days where he was solely teething and woke up at 6 AM  and took a singular hour long nap during the day (they are 'supposed' to nap 2-3 hours daily). Once this cold hit he was waking several times each night and only napping 30-40 minutes during the day, leading to epic overtired meltdowns in the evenings. 

    He also went on a milk strike, probably because it is too hard to drink through a straw when you can’t breathe through your nose. When a baby has a cold there is not much to be done except to let it run its course. The main advice is to help them get plenty of rest and fluids and we just felt totally incompetent for failing to get him to nap or drink more than 2 ounces at a time. He finally appears to be on the mend and is in much better spirits today, though still wanting to snuggle all day long (that part I do not mind at all).  

   3. A weekend in Bakersfield. I drove 4 hours south to Bakersfield last weekend to spend some time with my friends Jill and Brian and celebrate the upcoming arrival of fellow Bako residents Nary and Gerald’s baby girl.

   4. Thanksgiving visitors! 
 My brother and his girlfriend came for a visit for Thanksgiving so I was occupied gathering supplies and such this past week. Then I was having way too much fun hanging with them to worry about blogging.

   5. Not much inspiration. We were super busy in October with our vacation, visitors, and Forest’s birthday festivities. I think after all that frenzy my introverted mind needed some serious zoning out in order to reboot. I’m finally starting to come to and have a couple of things worth writing about. I’ll try to get back into the swing over the next few weeks before the Christmas holidays hit and I inevitably go into blogging hibernation again. 

    And I feel like in the time it took me to write this blog about why I’m not blogging, I could have certainly written an actual post. I have always been a fan of irony.

1 comment:

  1. Good to see Sammy in a pic. Seems like he is getting his rest

    ReplyDelete