Monday, September 22, 2014

Birthday Presents!



I celebrated my 31st birthday last week. I didn’t make a big deal out of it because I wasn’t too thrilled actually. Turning 30 didn’t bother me as much but for some reason 31 seems much more final. Like, I’m solidly in my 30s. Maybe it’s because I found 4 (!!!!) gray hairs last week but I was not too enthused about celebrating so I just didn’t make a big deal and let it pass by pretty anti-climatically.  

I would have been fine just ignoring the day all together, but my hubs is a gift giver and he loves any reason to give (or receive) presents. Because my birthday falls at the beginning of Fall, it’s sort of tradition that he gets me some sort of Fall weather accessory. Two years ago it was my Burberry Trench, last year it was new Ugg Slippers (I wanted boots but my swollen preggo feet had us unsure about what size to get), and this year he went all out and got me a new pair of Ugg boots plus a pair of Cole Haan Riding boots. 

Now I'm even more impatient for Fall temperatures! We are not even sure if it gets cold here in San Ramon, and if not I will totally be that chick sporting uggs in 70 degree weather while I sip my Pumpkin Spice Latte. Or I will drive on in to San Fran if I have to just to legitimately wear tights with Uggs. Fall is far and away my favorite season, probably simply because I love scarves, boots, and anything pumpkin flavored. 

And as if two pairs of boots weren’t enough, Jonathan also got me a few gifts to help in my growing photography hobby. I’ve had a DSLR camera for years now and still have only used it as a glorified point and shoot. Now that I have a precious baby who is growing soooooo fast, I’ve been appreciating how the skill of photography can really help me to capture these precious days. Plus, professional photographers are stinkin’ expensive! 

I have a few friends who dabble in photography and offer their services to friends and family for special occasions. For instance, my friend Nary did my maternity shots out of the kindness of her own heart and they were so lovely. 

My goal is to get good enough so that I can do similar shoots free of charge for my compadres. I think it’s just such a lovely gift of service to be able to give. So friends and family – if you’d allow me to practice on y’all I would love to get some more experience. Just let me know! For my birthday, Jon got me a photoshop program and a 50 mm lens which has been awesome for shooting portraits. 
I’ve been having tons of fun practicing on my little guy, although his busy ways make it almost impossible to get a good shot! 

When he holds still for just a second though, he makes the most perfect model I could ask for. 




Those baby blues and that sweet mischievous smile make me swoon. He’s seriously in danger of getting squeezed to death everyday because he is just. so. stinkin. cute.  

3 comments:

  1. What great bday gifts! I have a feeling my boots are staying in their boxes this year. Thanks for the shout out! Photography is so fun! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!! I love my Nikon DSLR and the 50mm lens is a good one for portraits, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for presents! Your shots are looking great!!! Would love for you to come over and practice with Riya:) I really need to get a fancy pants camera and start learning too!

    ReplyDelete