Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Lafayette or Bust



So obviously my mind is pretty consumed with the recent flooding which occurred in South Louisiana. As it happened, I just so happened to be in Lafayette when the heavens opened and unleashed a torrential downpour that didn’t stop for 48 hours. 

My parents’ house lost power and internet on and off those 2 days. I didn’t realize that just east of us, Baton Rouge was having an even worse time of it. My heart sinks looking at my old stomping grounds in both cities under water. It was crazy. I remember glancing at the forecast while packing Forest and I up and noticing a few thunderstorms. I even considered tossing in his crocodile suit and rain boots but assumed it’d be the typical fast and furious afternoon showers that occur most summer days down there and that bringing Scottish-style rain gear would be silly. 
I had no idea it would be enough rain to bring on flash floods the likes of which hadn’t been seen in decades. During my childhood and youth in south Louisiana, I’ve lived through many hurricanes and tropical storms and this was reminiscent of that except that no one was prepared. No one knew that a massive system would land over I-10 and just hover for days. 

Unfortunately, the weekend was also one I had been looking forward to for months. The stars aligned to make sure that high school friends from all over the country and the world would be in town for one of our best girl's baby shower. My parents had just moved back to Lafayette and I felt like it would feel like a true homecoming for me. But then the crap weather happened and my dad ended up having to leave town for Missouri a few hours before I arrived so I missed seeing him completely. My bestie in Alabama couldn’t get to Louisiana because of the flooded interstates and our friend flying in from the East coast had her flight canceled. Not that it mattered because with the weather and the flooding I couldn’t even see those friends who were in the same city as me. Petty complaints considering what some friends and family lost in the flooding. 

We were lucky. No property damage, just a little inconvenience with power outages but we made the most of our time together. My mom brought out lanterns and we hunkered down and read books and did puzzles by flashlight, plus we had plenty of Disney movies downloaded on our iPads so Forest was actually A-OK with being stuck inside with no electricity. 


When the rain slacked off we let Forest loose in the backyard (and I was REALLY wishing I’d packed his croc suit and wellies!). 




I mean, seriously, this is what childhood is made of, right? 

I hesitated to post these pics and videos. It seems insensitive. Like the first time you laugh out loud after a loved one passes away and the sound is jarring to your ears. There shouldn’t be joy in such a time of tragedy. But that’s the Louisiana way. 

The state gets battered and beaten down so frequently and yet it’s people are some of the most resilient, resourceful and joyful people I know. I’m proud to be a native and so happy my parents’ have moved back to Lafayette so I can visit my hometown more often.  

My orginal plan was to visit with friends in Lafayette Saturday and then head to Baton Rouge Sunday to see my brother, grandparents, and my other bestie, April, before heading back to The Woodlands on Monday. Well on Sunday the forecast was for a few hours of respite before torrential rain started up again and lasted for a few more days. 

It was either hit the road right then or stick it out until Wednesday. I impulsively decided to head out and by the grace of God we made it home with no drama. 

I’m still disappointed that I didn’t get to see everyone that I planned to but I’m definitely keeping that in perspective. Please pray for the state of Louisiana as it recovers from these historic floods. 

I pretty much have been listening to this song on repeat for days now, and crying and praying as I do. 

1 comment: