Friday, December 19, 2014

Day 7-9 of the 31 Day Photo Challenge



Y’all it has been raining nonstop for weeks. I’m not exaggerating! I’m happy that the constant downpour is reversing some of the effects of the drought in these parts but man, I am tired of being stuck inside! Forest totally feels my pain. To make matters worse, he has had 2 colds, an ear infection, and has cut 3 teeth in the span of 3 weeks and he is one big ball of misery. 

I’m also feeling stunted on my 31 day photo challenge because I am simply taking photos of the same subjects with the same indoor lighting day after day. It’s leaving me frustrated, unmotivated and uninspired. But…..Jonathan was super sweet and got me a new lens for Christmas and it’s awesome. It’s a Nikkor 16-85 mm f/3.5-5.6.


It’s not as good for portraits as my 50 mm but it’s way more versatile. My friend Nary suggested it as an all in one lens for traveling and I can already see why. It offers a lot of diversity in the distances and angles in which it can shoot. I’ve been needing a lens with good wide angle capabilities and this delivers. I’m excited that I can travel home for the holidays with just one all-in-one type of lens rather than bringing a few different ones along. I still need to practice a bit with it, especially in manual mode. 

Days 7-9 in the photo challenge elaborate on the exposure triangle and how adjusting your ISO, aperture and shutter speed in relation to one another can manipulate the light captured in your photo. I’ve been really trying to stay in Manual mode which has left me with several photos that are either under or over exposed. 

I have a feeling it will take a lot of practice before it becomes second nature to me. It’s very tempting to switch to Automatic mode but then it’s really rewarding when I get my settings right and come away with a raw image that I can take responsibility for. 
I am committed to learning to do it the right way, even though right now I am a bit discouraged that sometimes I miss a really cute shot because my settings were a smidge off. Later in the series she talks about how to correct for these mistakes when editing so hopefully some of my images are still salvageable. It’s tough enough to get Forest to engage with the camera so I hate to risk missing a camera-perfect moment with experimentation. So here are my best shots from Days 7-9 of the photo challenge. 

Forest was scared of the Christmas presents






1 comment:

  1. It's a great lens and the only one I usually travel with now. I used to haul around all of my lenses but I would only use that one so I stopped last year no regrets :)

    ReplyDelete