Friday, April 4, 2014

New Furniture


Most women have an affinity for shopping. For me, it’s kind of a drag. I dread hunting down bargains on clothes. I loathe when my shoes get worn out and I have to search for a replacement pair. Just in general, shopping stinks. There are three major exceptions to my ‘I hate shopping’ rule and that is 1) when perusing for books, 2) Target randoms, and 3) buying new furniture. 

As soon as we decided on our new house, Jonathan and I took an inventory of what we had and what we needed in terms of furniture. First on the list was a large leather sofa. We had to get rid of our old one when we moved to Scotland because it wouldn’t fit in our living room and we’d been making due with a loveseat ever since. 
Our living room in Aberdeen
We have a deep passionate love for all things Restoration Hardware so we were crushing pretty hard on their Lancaster Leather line. 
We chose a large sofa and two chairs to match, one of which was a recliner. 

Somehow looks a bit different than the catalog with the dino mat and jumperoo...
However, when we got the recliner we were kind of disappointed. It was pretty wimpy as far as recliners go and when fully extended, my short little legs still hung off the end of the foot so it was not the ideal reading chair I had envisioned. 
Turns out, it’s not a big deal to make returns to RH so we are exchanging the recliner for just an additional chair. That delivery should happen sometime next week. 

To accompany our new living room seating, we also got a new coffee table and side table. 


Our new house also has a formal dining room and I have been itching to get a raw hardwood farm table for the entire length of our marriage. We’ve never had the square footage to warrant it, but now we do! Say hello to our new table: 

The previous owners were fond of maroon accent walls. We plan to paint this wall grey to match the other walls in the house.

We got Belgian linen dining chairs to match the chairs we already had from RH that are coming in our shipment. Our linen chairs will be off to the side of the table in the sitting area so I think it will be a really beautiful tie in. 
Needless to say, Forest will be discouraged from playing in this room and will eat his mushy peas at the ‘kids' table’ in the kitchen. 

He has already decided that scratching the leather sofas is his new favorite thing. Babies…
Good thing we went for the ‘worn leather’ look so a few scuffs will only add to it’s charm. Our plan of attack is just to buy rustic furniture while we have babies and dogs, that way any mess-ups just add character to the pieces. Leather is also a good idea with our dogs since they shed an impossible amount. Fabric sofas are ridiculously time-consuming to clean so while I love their asthetic and comfy-ness, they are a no-go for spaniel owners. I guess I could just teach them to stay off the sofa, but what's the purpose of having a dog if you can't curl up with them on your favorite chair? 
Anyway, I've gone off on a tangent. Back to the furniture:

Also in the linen line, we got two barstools for our kitchen area. 

Basically, now we have dinner seating for 16 so I’m expecting some family and friends to crash at our place for some holidays over the next few years. We’ve got turkeys roaming all over our neighborhood so I’m thinking Thanksgiving??? 
I'll post more pictures of the furniture and the house once we have our shipment unpacked. It's supposed to arrive in port this Sunday and be delivered 3-5 days after clearing customs so I expect to have all 152 boxes unpacked sometime in about the next 10 months or so...

4 comments:

  1. Looking good! We have those same exact dining chairs! Great choice:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love RH!!! Your house is coming along very nicely!!! There's a store that's similar in style here and that's where our fav furniture pieces are from too. I plan to snag a few more pieces from there before we leave Dubai. And you are so right about getting rustic furniture while you have babies, it makes it look even better:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting blog. and your house is a looking so wonderful. white leather sofa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love all the furniture on your house, especially the wooden made tables. It looks simple, yet its neatness made the entire area look more elegant and comfortable to stay in. How I'd love to lounge and relax in there. Hahaha! Thanks for sharing that, Laine! All the best to your family!


    Maggie Grant @ The Find Consignment

    ReplyDelete