Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Go Texan

It's Rodeo time in Houston which means there have been no shortage of Texas themed events going on around town. For a kid who spent most of his life in the breathtakingly beautiful state of California, it took no time at all for Forest to be indoctrinated with the 'Texas forever' mindset. 

Many of you know that Forest is our little geography whiz and knows most of his US states, but if you ask him which is his favorite or where he'd like to travel 'Texas' is his answer every single time. I seriously don't know where he gets it from but at the risk of getting deported out of "God's country" I swear it's not happening at home! Most of my time I wistfully wax on about the beauty of Scotland, the weather of California and the culture of Louisiana. 


In fact, his 'Go Texan' week at school was during Mardi Gras so on Monday I dressed him in Louisiana/Mardi Gras gear and on Wednesday I put him in his Lake Tahoe shirt. 

 
By the end of the week I felt a little guilty and I finally caved and bought him a Houston Astros shirt for his official rodeo day on Friday. 






That's the best I could do. Admittedly, cowboys are not really his thing at this moment in time so I doubt he'd wear a hat and boots even if I wanted him to. I actually would love to take him to the rodeo at some point because it really is one of the best cultural events in Texas and I think he'd love it and would probably be pretty darn good at mutton busting.  

Here's some cute footage of him being his shy self at the Rodeo night sing-a-long at preschool. (He's in the very California-esque outfit of jean shorts and yellow jacket with natives. He's also the only kid not making pig noises.)
I was actually shocked that he left my side and went up when they asked all the kids to come forward, but guitar dude is crazy if he thinks Forest is gonna humiliate himself by acting like a pig in front of an audience. Also, Forest isn't lying about being pretty clean at home. Another thing that I'm not sure where it came from but he's pretty compliant about picking up after himself. Maybe this is one of those traits that skips a generation? The other day he asked me 'Is anyone coming over or can I get my toys out?' Ha! Sweet sweet Texas-loving boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment