Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Sing to Him a New Song.



I was fascinated and amazed the first time Forest belted out ‘all through the town!’ during a rendition of ‘the Wheels on the Bus’ at 17 months old. The next few months demonstrated an uncanny ability for his mind to memorize the words to every single song featured on the Raffi Pandora station.   

My momma-heart felt so much pride the first time he made it all the way through the ABCs, and though he was supposed to be napping, I was overjoyed to catch his sweet voice crooning ‘twinkle twinkle little star’ one time on the baby monitor. And how we giggled as Forest tried to sing 'itsy bitsy spider' and it came out 'ipsy bipsy'. There simply cannot be a sweeter sound on earth than that of a baby/toddler singing. 

On Sunday mornings, we always bring Forest in with us for church worship because he loves the music. I don’t know why I was surprised last Sunday when out of the corner of my eye, I saw him singing along with the praise song ‘Good Good Father’ but I instantly started crying big ole ugly tears. My heart completely turned to mush in that moment. 
It’s been a rough few weeks with teething, viruses and general 2 year old moodiness. In certain moments I feel lost and like I am totally unequipped. I don’t have my momma or sister or many of my best friends nearby to tell me that I’m doing this whole mothering thing well, and sometimes on this parenting journey, you just need a good dose of encouragement. 

But seeing Forest singing the words ‘You’re a good good father; it’s who you are. And I’m loved by You; it’s who I am’, just seemed like the Lord’s way of reminding me: He is Forest’s heavenly father. He loves him and wants to protect him and shepherd him and he will be with Forest’s earthly parents as we fumble through this parenting gig. It reminded me to trust that God will give me the wisdom, stamina, and patience I need as long as I continually ask Him for it. He truly is a good good father.
'"Do you hear what these children are saying?" they asked him. "Yes," replied Jesus, "have you never read, 'From the lips of children and infants you, Lord, have called forth your praise'?".

1 comment:

  1. Great blog Laine. Inspiring for all. Thanks. Also fun to see Sammy waiting for his chance.

    ReplyDelete