Thursday, May 5, 2016

4 Years Ago????

Four years ago today, we left Houston with a one way ticket to Scotland. What a transformative 4 years it has been. And now, almost to the day we are coming full circle and heading back to Texas. Tomorrow starts our house hunting trip to Houston and I have to say it’s feeling a little surreal. I never thought a geographic spot could ever be as dear to me as my beloved southland, but both Scotland and California have wormed their way into my heart and soul. I had a big ugly cry this morning just thinking about that scared but excited young woman I was back then, boarding a plane to the UK. I wanted to go back and live the whole story with her again. The next two years would bring lifelong friendships and amazing travel opportunities and one sweet little surprise. 





Our move to California with a newborn continued to stretch and refine me and I bonded quickly with women I was raising my child alongside. 
It was the perfect spot to live with a young infant because the travel opportunities within a reasonable drive were unbelievable. 






We even managed to take a trip to Hawaii while we were here. 
I have seriously loved every day of our time in California. I kept expecting the honeymoon phase to wear off but it never did. I honestly think it’s the closest thing to paradise this side of heaven. 



The last 4 years have been genuinely wonderful. I can’t remember ever being happier or more content. I thank God for this time. I’m looking towards the next phase of our life with trepidation. I feel as though the easy life is wrapping up and challenging times are next on the agenda. 

It’s not easy to be away from your husband for 4 weeks at a time. Marriage with small children is hard enough to stay connected, but add in distance and drastic time zone differences and I just don’t know how we will make it work. I know we will make it work, I just don’t know how.  It will take time and intention to keep our marriage healthy and thriving and gosh that seems like a lot of work on top of doing this parenthood thing solo for a month at a time. 

So while 28 year old me was naively thrilled to be embarking on an ex-pat adventure with my husband, 32 me is reluctant to end the current wonderful chapter of my life and start one filled with uncertainty and brand new obstacles. But next year, when Timehop reminds me of the start of this new journey, I’m sure I’ll take stock of the past year and thank God for all the new friends he brought into my life and all the amazing experiences we got to share as a family.

1 comment:

  1. You have made it look easy. I know you have had to reach out to get connected but you have done it. Your new friends adore you. You and Jon are a great team and you will manage the next challenge. Glad to
    Have you much closer me.

    ReplyDelete