Monday, May 18, 2015

Forest's First Haircut



We’ve been putting off cutting Forest’s hair for a while. It stayed naturally pretty short until around 15 months when it suddenly sprouted. 
Unfortunately it only sprouted in the back giving him a classic mullet look. Still, we wanted to wait for the sides and front to catch up in growth before getting it trimmed up. We just couldn’t justify a big boy haircut if his hair wasn’t in his eyes. And plus, the baby curls were super cute. But then it really started to get obnoxious in the back. 

He was getting referred to as a girl almost everywhere we went and I could easily pull his hair into a man bun.   
It was time. 

I asked around for a recommended hair stylist and was pointed to Shear Adventures in downtown Danville. I easily got an appointment for last Thursday afternoon and was advised to bring along a diversion and a favorite snack in case Forest was uncooperative with the haircut. 

A boy’s first hair cut is a huge milestone so Jonathan took off work early to be there for it. He surprised me by being quite sentimental about chopping off the curls, since he was the one who pushed me to make the appointment in the first place. 

The hair salon was geared specifically for kids so had cartoons on the TV and a huge train track set up in the waiting room. Forest happily played with the trains and cars while we waited for our turn. 

Once he was up, he was excited to sit in seat shaped like a car with a steering wheel. 
However, he did get a bit suspicious when Janet started spraying his hair to get it wet. We pulled out the iPad with an episode of Sesame Street and he instantly zoned out and didn’t move a muscle for the rest of the haircut. 


The stylist said she was amazed at how unphased he was about a stranger combing and cutting his hair. Oh the magic that is an iPad! 

She saved a few locks of his hair for us which I accepted but sort of made me feel a tad creepy. I am not the most sentimental person on the block and I can’t imagine an envelope of baby hair making the next move with us, but I’m glad I have it in case I change my mind or maybe want to clone Forest in the future (ha!). 

I will say that his entire look instantly changed with those curls gone. Forest already had the body and teeth of a 2 year old and now he has the haircut to match. I tried to take some good 'before and after' shots but of course Forest bonked his head almost immediately after his haircut so had a giant goose egg that looked more like a unicorn horn in the middle of his forehead. All the grandparents were asking for ‘after’ shots and this was the best I could get.

Before:


After:






I think he looks ridiculously handsome (and so much like his daddy) and I just absolutely love it! 

2 comments:

  1. Ugh! It makes me sad...he is getting too big!!! And don't knock the creepy people who keep the hair...Kyes is in his baby book!

    ReplyDelete